Tuesday, November 13, 2007

School Massacre in Finland

In southern Finland on Wednesday, an 18-year-old student opened fire in his high school killing eight people and himself in a shooting spree that stunned the Nordic country.

News reports about the shooting have focused on everything from gun control to the need for You Tube censorship. Some even blame the US. It is ridiculous.

I haven't been able to find anything written about the young man's family life or his mental health history, but I imagine that those two factors played the largest role in his decision to kill himself in this way.

Sometimes I find it hard to understand why educated journalists feel the need to stretch so far in an attempt to sensationalize the truth. Isn't the truth newsworthy enough?

My heart goes out to all those who have been effected by this tragedy. I will leave it at that.

0 Comments: